This article will help you out on Configuring Forms based authentication (FBA) in SharePoint 2016 it is very similar to SharePoint 2013.
I have broken down steps in 4 articles.
1. Configuring SharePoint
2. Creating Membership Database
3. Adding users to Membership Database
4. Editing the web.config files.
So lets get started :)
Part 1- Configuring SharePoint
- Open SharePoint Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage Web Applications.
- Click “New” to create a new Web Application.
- Name the Web Application and change options to your preferences.
- Check "Enable Forms Based Authentication"and enter the Asp.net MemberShip Provider Name and Asp.net Role Provider name.As an Example i have used FBAMember and FBARole. Click OK
- Once Web Application is created we will create root site collection for it.
- While creating the root site collection, you can choose any template or URL.
- Now if you browse the site collection it will take you to default sign in page where you will be asked to choose an Authentication Provider to Sign In.If you want external users than FBA is the only option.
We are done with SharePoint Configuration.
In next part we will cover Creating Membership Database.
Happy SharePointing :)